I have been involved in both basic and clinical investigations into the mechanisms of the major kidney disorders in pediatrics. The opportunity to examine the physiology and pathophysiology of normal and abnormal development and function of the kidneys throughout the critical periods of growth and maturation extending into adolescence and young adulthood is unique, especially since the antecedents of adult disease manifest themselves during the pediatric age range. Of the major causes of progressive glomerular diseases, focal segmental glomerulosclerosis is the most common and often devastating entity in pediatric and adult nephrology. We are actively involved in an NIH-funded clinical trial of this condition aimed at defining the most efficacious therapy while investigating the molecular etiologies for its expression. This translational research is further extended into another NIH-supported longitudinal study involving chronic kidney disease in children and its attendant morbidities of abnormalities in: growth and neurocognitive development, and the risk factors for cardiovascular disease and renal progression. Our Division of Pediatric Nephrology has expertise in clinical hypertension and translational research into biomarkers of renal progression, development nephrology, and our collaborations with other investigators in the basic sciences, Pediatrics and Internal Medicine Nephrology offer an extensive research environment.
This year I served as the Chair of the Nephrology Working Committee of for the Best Pharmaceuticals in Chldren Act in partnership with the National Institute of Child Health and Development. In addition, I was elected to the Executive Committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Nephrology. I recently was elected as Chair Elect, Clinical Translational Science Award Consortim Child Oversight Committee, and have served on the leadership committe of this initiative since 2009. This responsibilty is directed at improving pediatric therapeutics and device development through the NIH and other partnerships. I was an invited International Pediatric Nephrology Association Visiting Professor in December 2011 at Fudan University, Shanghi, China. In December 2011, I was a co-author on a New England Journal of Medicine Medical Review article on Focal Segmental Glomerular Sclerosis.
During the past year I have served on several NIH Review Committees and am the Director of Child Health for Einstein/Montefiore Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. I will lecture at the 16th Congress of the International Pediatric Nephrology Association Scientific Meeting in Shanghi, China on Focal Segmenta Glomerulosclerosis, and Chair a course for trainees and fellows on Clinical Research in Pediatric Nephrology. I was again chosen as Best Doctors for New York Magazine. I was bestowed a great honor by being asked to serve on the Editorial Board of Kidney International.
New York Super Doctors 2013
New York Super Doctors 2011
New York Super Doctors 2010
New York Super Doctors 2009
New York Super Doctors 2008
Medical School: Cincinnati College of Medicine, University of
Graduation Year: 1975
Professional Webpage: www.montekids.org/physiciandirectory/index.cfm?provider=&row...
1967‑72 Doctoral Training Program in Physiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
1977-80 Fellowship, Kidney Disease Institute of New York
1980-81 National Research Service Award, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1986 Mitchell L. Rubin Lectureship, Children=s Hospital of Buffalo, New York
1990 Young Pioneer Award, National Kidney Foundation of NewYork/New Jersey
1993 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Course Participant in "Advanced In Situ Hybridization & Immunocytochemistry"
1996 Resource Foundation Wall of Fame Award for organizing a medical mission to Andean Village in Peru
1998- Best Doctors in New York
2000- The Best Doctors in America
2000- Who’s Who Historical Society
2001- Who’s Who in America
2002- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
2002- National Medical Award in Pediatric Nephrology, Kidney & Urology Foundation of America
2005- Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Class of 1975
2007- Distinguished Alumni Award, Monmouth College, Class of 1967
2007- The Global Directory of Who’s Who
2010- America’s Top Pediatricians
2010 American Board of Pediatrics Maintenance of Certification in Pediatric Nephrology 2010
Board of Trustees and Summer Kidney Camp Medical Director, Frost Valley YMCA, Claryville, New York; NIH/NIDDK National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP) Scientific Advisory Committee; Einstein Enrichment Program for High School Bronx students; Past-President, American Society of Pediatric Nephrology; Past Co-Chair, Public Policy Committee, American Society of Pediatric Nephrology; Chairman, Council of Pediatric Nephrology/Urology Kidney and Urology Foundation of America; Scientific Board for: Nephcure Foundation, Cystinosis Research Network; Past Basic Science Committee member National Kidney Foundation; American Association of Kidney Patients Board member; Past and present ad hoc member FDA Cardiovascular Renal Advisory Committee; Grant Reviewer for the National Institutes of Health and the Environmental Protection Agency; Children’s Aid Society member; Congress President, 15th International Pediatric Nephrology Association Scientific Congress, August, 2010; Society for Pediatric Research Advocacy Committee; National Quality Forum’s Steering Committee for the End Stage Renal Disease Measures Project; National Child Health Oversight Committee for the Clinical Translational Science Award .
Board of Trustees and Summer Kidney Camp Medical Director, Frost Valley YMCA, Claryville, New York; NIH/NIDDK National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP) Scientific Advisory Committee; Einstein Enrichment Program for High School Bronx students
Publications: Peer Reviewed
1. Kaskel FJ and Kleinman LI. Effect of diet on renal response to salt challenge in neonatal piglets. Biol. Neonate 29:306‑3l4, l976.
2. Spitzer A, Kaskel F, Feld L, et al. Renal regulation of phosphate homeostasis during growth. Seminars in Nephrology, Vol. 3 (2) 87‑93, 1983.
3. Wilson TA, McCaughran JA, Juno CJ, Kaskel FJ and Partin JS. Ontogeny of plasma renin activity in the Dahl rat. Model of Essential Hypertension. J. of Hypertension 4(suppl. 5): S23‑S26, 1986.
4. Kaskel FJ, Kumar A, Lockhart E, Evan A and Spitzer A. Factors controlling proximal tubular reabsorption during development. Am. J. Physiol. 252 (Renal Fluid Electrolyte Physiol. 21):F188‑197, 1987.
5. Kaskel FJ, Arbeit L, Devarajan P, Partin JS and Moore LC. Cyclosporine‑induced nephrotoxicity:
Tubuloglomerular feedback and sodium reabsorption. Am. J. Physiol. 252 (Renal Fluid & Electrolyte Physiol. 21): F733‑F724, 1987.
6. Kaskel FJ, Kumar A, Feld L and Spitzer A. Renal reabsorption of phosphate during development. Tubular events. Pediatric Nephrology, Vol. 2 (1) 129‑134, 1988.
7. Kaskel FJ, Devarajan P, Persan L, Juno CJ, Wilson TA and McCaughran JA. Ontogeny of blood pressure in the inbred Dahl hypertension‑sensitive and resistant rat. Am. J. Hypertension, Vol. 1 (3) 41S‑44S, 1988
8. Kaskel FJ, Devarajan P, Arbeit LA and Moore LC. Effects of cyclosporine on renal hemodynamics and autoregulation in rats. Transplantation Proceedings, Vol. XX, No.3 (Suppl. 3):603‑609, 1988.
9. Welling LW, Evan AP, Gattone II VH, Rollins S, Saunders R, Kaskel FJ and Spitzer A. Correlation of structure and function in developing proximal tubule of guinea pig. Am. J. Physiol. 256(Renal Fluid Electrolyte Physiol. 25): F13‑17, 1989.
10. Devarajan P, Kaskel FJ, Arbeit LA and Moore LC. Cyclosporine nephrotoxicity in the rat: Abnormal circulatory volume and renal sodium conservation. Am. J. Physiol. 256 (Renal Fluid Electrolyte Physiol. 25): F29‑F34, 1989.
11. Hua J, Kaskel FJ, Moore LC, Juno CJ and McCaughran JA Jr. Salt intake and renal hemodynamics in immature and mature Dahl salt‑sensitive rats. The American Journal of Hypertension, 3:268-273, 1990.
12. Kaskel FJ, Devarajan P, Birzgalis A and Moore LC. Inhibition of Myogenic Autoregulation in Cyclosporine Nephrotoxicity in the Rat. Renal Physiology and Biochemistry 12 (4):250‑259, 1989.
13. Smith ML, Pellett OL, Cahill TC, David DN, Kaskel FJ, Smolin LAA, Greene AA, Weissbecker K, Dean M and Schneider JA. Biochemical and Genetic Analysis of a Child with Both Cystic Fibrosis and Cystinosis. Am J. Human Genetics 39:84‑90, 1991.
14. Felder RA, Kinoshita A, Sidhu A, Ohbu K and Kaskel FJ. A Renal DA‑1 Receptor Defect in Two Genetics Models of Hypertension. Am. J. Hypertension 3:96S‑99S, 1990.
15. Mason J,Muller‑Schweinitzer E, Dupont M, Casellas D, Michatach M, Moore LC, Kaskel FJ: Cyclosporine (Sandimmune) and the renin‑angiotensin system. Kidney International 39 (Suppl. 32) S28‑S32, 1991.
16. Goligorsky MS, Iijima K, Morgan M, Yanagisawa M, Masaki T, Lin L, Nasjletti A, Kaskel FJ, Frazer M, Badr K: Role of endothelin in the development of Dahl hypertension. J of Cardiovascular Pharmacology 17 (Suppl 7) SS484‑S491, 1991.
17. Moore LC, Mason J, Feld L, Van Liew JB and Kaskel FJ. Effect of cyclosporine on endothelial albumin leakage in rats. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 3: 51‑57, 1992.
18. Tufro‑McReddie, Gomez RA, Norling LL, Omar AA, Moore LC and Kaskel FJ: Effects of cyclosporine A on the expression of renin and angiotensin Type 1 receptor genes in the rat kidney. Kidney Intl 43(3): 615‑622, 1993.
19. Casellas D, Dupont M, Kaskel FJ, Inagami T, Moore LC. Direct visualization of renin‑cell distribution in preglomerular vascular trees dissected from rat kidney. Am. J. Physiol. 265 (Renal Fluid Electrolyte Physiol. 34). F151‑F156, 1993.
20. Lin JJ, Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ, Fine RN. IgG and IgA cases of anti‑neutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies in a 13 year old girl with recurrent Henoch‑Schonlein purpura. Pediatr Nephrol 7:143‑146, 1993.
21. Lin JJ, Sorbi D, Uy JP, Cabal PR, Kaskel FJ, Waltzer WC, Rapaport FT, Arbeit LA. Doxycycline Sclerotherapy of Lymphocele After Renal Transplantation and Its Inhibition of Gelatinase Activity. Transplantation Proceedings, 26 (6):3320‑3324, 1993.
22. Kupferman JC, Beaudoin R, Carr R, Hay D, Casellas D, Kaskel FJ, Moore LC. Activation of the Renal Renin Angiotensin System by Cyclosporine‑A and FK506 in the Rat. Transplantation Proceedings 25:(5) 2891-2893, 1994.
23. Cascio C, Cabralda T, Wadhwa NK, Kaskel F, Stewart C. Use of Private Duty Nurses for Daily CCPD and Family Relief in Pediatric PD Patients. Advances in Peritoneal Dialysis, 10:304-306, 1994.
24. Lin JJ, Miller F, Waltzer W, Kaskel FJ, Arbeit L. Recurrence of Immunoglobulin A-kappa (IgA‑Kappa) crystalline deposition disease after kidney transplantation. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 25(1):75-78, 1994.
25. Kupferman JC, Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ, Katz SP, Fine RN. Chronic peritoneal dialysis in a child with Down syndrom. Letter to editors. Pediatr Nephrol 8:644-646, 1994.
26. Kupferman JC, Stewart CL, Schapfel DM, Kaskel FJ, Fine RN. Megacystosi Microcolon Intestinal Hypoperistalsis Syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol 9:626-627, 1995.
27. Lin JJ, Cybulsky AV, Goodyear PR, Fine RN, Kaskel FJ. Insulin‑like growth factor‑1 enhances pidermal growth factor receptor activation and renal tubular cell regeneration in post‑ischemic acute renal failure. Journal of Laboratory Clinical Medicine 125:724-733, 1995.
28. Ohbu K, Kaskel FJ, Kinoshita S, and Felder RA: Dopamine‑1 receptors in proximal convoluted tubule of the Dahl rat:defective coupling to adenylate cyclate. Am. J. Physiol. 268 (Regulatory Integrative Comp. Physiol. 37): R231-R235, 1995.
29. Norling LL, Tufro McReddie A, Gomez RA, Moore LC, Kaskel FJ. Accumulation of Acid Renin Isoforms in Kidneys of Cyclosporine‑A Treated Rats J. Am. Soc. of Nephr. 7:331-337, 1996.
30. Kupferman JC, Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ, Fine RN. Posterior Urethral Valves in Patients with Down Syndrome. Pediatric Nephrology 10:143-146, 1996.
31. Lin JJ, Partin J, Kaskel FJ. Changes in Laminin During Recovery from Post‑Ischemic Acute Renal Failure in Rats. Experimental Nephrology 4:279-285, 1996.
32. Lin JJ, Fine RN, Kaskel FJ. Growth Hormone and Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1 and Mesangial Matrix in Uremia Rats. Pediatric Nephrology 10:299-303, 1996.
33. Tönshoff B, Powell DR, Zhao D, Durham S, Coleman ME, Domene HM, Blum WF, Baxter RC, Moore LC, Kaskel FJ. Decreased hepatic insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I) and increased IGF binding protein-1 and -2 gene expression in experimental uremia. Endocrinology 138: 938-946, 1997.
34. Bereket A, Lang CH, Blethen SL, Kaskel FJ, Stewart C, Wilson TA. Growth Hormone Treatment in Growth Retarded Children With End Stage Renal Failure: Effect on Free/Dissociable IGF-I Levels Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology. 10:2, 1-6, 1997.
35. Tönshoff B, Kaskel FJ, Moore LC. Effects of Recombinant Human Insulin-Like Growth Factor-I on Renal Microvasculature of Juxtamedullary Nephrons. American Journal of Physiology 247 (Renal Physiology 43):F120-F128, 1998.
36. Lin JJ, Tönshoff B, Bouriquet N, Casellas RA, Kaskel FJ, and Moore LC. IGF-I Restores Microvascular autoregulation in Experimental Renal Failure. Kidney International 54:67, S1-4, 1998.
37. Bereket G, Lin JJ, Bereket A, Lang CH, and Kaskel FJ. Peritoneal Loss of Insulin-like Growth
Factor-I and Binding Proteins in End-Stage Renal Disease. Pediatric Nephology 12:7, 581-588, 1998.
38. Omar AA, Kaskel FJ, Casellas RA and Moore LC. Autoregulatory Loss and Renin Recruitment in Juxtamedullary Afferent Arterioles in Cyclosporine A‑treated rats. (In revision, Am. J. Physiol.)
39. Moore LC, Thorup C, Ellinger A, Paccione J, Casellas D, Kaskel FJ. Advanced Glycosylation End-products and NO-dependent Vasodilation in Renal Afferent Arterioles from Diabetic Rats. Acta Physiol. Scand.168(1):101-6, 2000.
40. Johnson VL, Wang J, Kaskel FJ, Pierson RN, Jr. Changes in Body Composition of Children With Chronic Renal Failure on Growth Hormone. Pediatric Nephrology 14:7, 695-700, 2000.
41. Kaskel FJ., Powell D, Tönshoff B. Molecular Basis of Skeletal Growth:Sixth Symposium on Growth Development in Children with Chronic Renal Failure. Pediatric Nephrology 14:7, 535, 2000.
42. Greenstein SM, Delrio M, Ong E, Feurestein D, Schechner R, Kim D, Corey H, Kaskel F, Tellis VA, Moritz ML. Plasmapheresis treatment for recurrent focal sclerosis in pediatric renal allografts. Pediatric Nephrology 14(12): 1061-5, 2000.
43. Swiatecka-Urban A, Mokrzycki M, Kaskel FJ, Da Silva F, Denamur D. Novel WT1 mutation involving a critical zinc-finger domain cysteine (C388Y) in a patient with Denys-Drash syndrome. Pediatric Nephrology 16:627-630, 2001.
44. Swiatecka-Urban A,Garcia C,Feuerstein D, Suzuki S, Devarajan P, Schechner R, Greenstein S, Tellis V, Kaskel FJ. Basiliximab induction. Improves the outcome of renal transplants in children and adolescents. Pediatric Nephrology 16:9, 693-696, 2001.
45. Erkan E, Moritz M, Kaskel FJ. Effect of residual renal function in adolescent hemodialysis patients. Pediatric Nephrology 2001.
46. Erkan E, Devarajan P, Kaskel FJ. Role of nitric oxide, endothelin-1, and inflammatory cytokines in blood pressure regulation in hemodialysis patients. Am. Journal Kidney Disease, 40(1):76-81, 2002.
47. Iman A, Devarajan P, Moore L, Kaskel FJ. Blood pressure-dependent and -independent renoprotective mechanisms of chronic renin- angiotensin inhibition in growing rats. (In revision).
48. Supavekin S, Zhang W, Kucherlapati R, Kaskel FJ, Moore LC, Devarajan P. Differential gene expression following early renal ischemia-reperfusion. Kidney International, 63:1714-1724, 2003.
49. Kaskel, F.J. Chronic renal disease: A growing problem. Kidney International, 64(3):1141-1151, 2003.
50. Bamgbola FO, Del Rio M, Kaskel FJ, and Flynn JT. Non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema during basiliximab induction in there adolescent renal transplant patients. Pediatric Transplantation 7:315-320, 2003.
51. Trachtman H, Cnaan A, Christen E, Gibbs K, Zhao S, Acheson D, Weiss R, Kaskel FJ, Spitzer A and Hirschman GH. Effect of an oral Shiga toxin-binding agent on diarrhea-associated hemolytic uremic syndrome in children: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 290:1337-1344, 2003.
52. Kaskel F. Chronic renal disease: A growing problem. Kidney International 64:1141-1151, 2003.
53. Bamgbola FO, Kaskel FJ. Uremic-malnutrition-inflammation syndrome in chronic renal disease: A pathobiologic factor. J of Renal Nutrition 13 (4):250-258, 2003.
54. Castaneda MP, Swiatecka-Urban A, Mitsnefes M, Feuerstein D, Kaskel F, Tellis V, Devarajan P. Activation of mitochondrial apoptotic pathwasys in human renal allografts. Transplant 76(1):50-54, 2003.
55. Erkan E, Garcia C, Patterson LT, Mishra J, Mitsnefes MM, Potter SS, Kaskel FJ, and Devarajan A. Induction of renal tubular cell apoptosis in FSGS: roles of proteinuria and Fas-dependent pathways. JASN 16(2):398-407 2004.
56. Greenbaum LA, Del Rio M, Bamgbola F., Kaskel FJ. Rationale for growth hormone therapy in children with chronic kidney disease. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 11(4):377-86, 2004.
57. Gerson A, Hwang W, Fiorenza J, Barth K, Kaskel F, Weiss L, Zelikovsky N, Fivush B, and Furth S. Anemia and health-related quality of life in adolescents with chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis 44(6):1017-23 2004.
58. Bamgbola OF, Kaskel FJ. Growth Hormone Therapy in Chronic Kidney Disease. Growth, Genetics & Hormones 21(1):1-8, 2005.
59. Kleta R, Kaskel FJ, Dohil R, Goodyer P, Guay-Woodford LM, Harms E, Ingelfinger JR, Koch VH, Langman CB, Leonard MB, Mannon RB, Sarwal M, Schneider JA, Skovby F, Sonies BC, Thoene JG, Trauner DA, Gahl WA. First NIH/Office of Rare Diseases Conference on Cystinosis: past, present, and future. Peds Nephr 20:452-454, 2005.
60. Tonshoff B, Schaefer F, Kaskel FJ. INTRODUCTORY REMARKS: The Seventh Symposium on Growth and Development in Children with Chronic Kidney Disease: The Molecular Basis of Skeletal Growth. Peds Nephr 20:249-250, 2005.
61. Bamgbola OF, Del Rio M, Kaskel FJ, Flynn JT. Recombinant tissue plasminogen activator infusion for hemodialysis catheter clearance. Peds Nephr 20:989-993, 2005.
62. Bamgbola OF, Kaskel FJ. The Role of Folate Deficiency on Erythropoietin Hyporesponsiveness in Pediatric Patients on Chronic Maintenance Dialysis. Pediatr Nephrol. 21(1):14-25, 2006.
63. Report of an NIH Task Force on Research Priorities in Chronic Kidney Disease in Children. Russell W Chesney, Eileen Brewer, Marva Moxey Mims, Sandra Watkins, Susan Furth, William Harmon, Richard Fine, Ronald Portman, Bradley Warady, Isidro Salusky, Craig Langman, Debbie Gipson, Peter Scheidt, Harold Feldman, Frederick Kaskel, Norman Siegel. Pediatric Nephrology. Pediatr Nephrol. 21(1):14-25, 2006.
64. Belay B, Estaban-Cruiani, N, Walsh C, Kaskel FJ. The Use of Levo-carnitine in Children with Renal Disease: A Review and a Call for Future Studies Peds Nephr 21:308-317, 2006.
65. Woroniecki R, Schiffer M, Shaw AS, Kaskel FJ, Bottinger EP. "Glomerular Expression of TGF-ß Isoforms in Mice Lacking CD2-Associated Protein." Peds Neph 21:333-338, 2006.
66. Kaskel FJ. Safety and Efficacy of Sodium Ferric Gluconate Complex in Iron-Deficient Pediatric Hemodialysis Patients. Nat Clin Pract Nephrol. 2(5):244-245, 2006.
67. Furth SL, Cole SR, Moxey-Mims M, Kaskel F, Mak R, Schwartz G, Wong C, Munoz A and Warady BA. Design and Methods of the Chronic Kidney Disease Children (CKiD) Prospective Cohort Study. Clin J Am Nephrol 1(5):1006-1015, 2006.
68. McGill JB, Furth S, Kaskel FJ. Guest Editors, Obesity: Growing Impact on Chronic Kidney Disease. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease 13(4):223-224, 2006.
69. Chalmers L, Kaskel FJ, Bamgbola O. The Role of Obesity and Its Bioclinical Correlates in the Progression of CKD. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease 13(4):352-364, 2006.
70. Woroniecki RP, Orlova TN, Mendelev N, Shatat IF, Hailpern SM, Kaskel FJ, Goligorsky M, and O’Riordan E. Urinary Proteome of Steroid-Sensitive and Steroid-Resistant Idiopathic Nephrotic Syndrome of Childhood. American Journal of Nephrology 26:258-267, 2006.
71. Gunay-Aygun M, Avner ED, Bacallao RL, Choyke PL, Flynn JT, Germino GG, Guay-Woodford L, Harris P, Heller T, Ingelfinger J, Kaskel F, Kleta R, LaRusso NF, Mohan P, Pazour GJ, Schneider BL, Torres VE, Wilson P, Zak C, Zhou J, Gahl WA. Autosomal Recessive Polycytic Kidney Disease and Congenital Hepatic Fibrosis: Summary Statement of the First National Institutes of Health/Office of Rare Disease Conference. J. Pediatr 149(2):159-164, 2006.
72. Dodson JL, Diener-West M, Gerson AC, Kaskel FJ, Furth SL. An Assessment of Health-Related Quality of Life Using the Child Health and Illness Profile-Adolescent Edition in Adolescents with Chronic Kidney Disease Due to Underlying Urological Disorders. The Journal of Urology, 178(2):660-665, 2007.
73. Reidy K and Kaskel FJ. Pathophysiology of Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis. Pediatric Nephrology 22:350 - 354, 2007.
74. Graf L, Candelaria S, Doyle M, and Kaskel F. Nutrition Assessment and Hormonal Influences on Body Composition in Children with Chronic Kidney Disease. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease 14(2):215-223, 2007.
75. Mahesh S and Kaskel F. Growth Hormone Axis in Chronic Kidney Disease. Pediatric Nephrology 23(1) 41-48, 2007.
76. Furth SL, Cole SR, Fadrowski J, Gerson A, Chandra M, Weiss R, Kaskel F. The Association of Anemia and Hypoalbuminemia with Accelerated Decline in GFR Among Adolescents with Chronic Kidney Disease. Pediatric Nephrol. 22(2):265-271, 2007.
77. Dodson J, Diener-West M, Gerson A, Kaskel F, Furth S. An Assessment of Health Related Quality of Life Using the Child Health and Illness Profile-Adolescent Edition in Adolescents with Chronic Kidney Disease Due to Underlying Urological Disorders. J. Urology 178:660-665, 2007.
78. Woroniecki RP, Shatat IF, Supe K, Du Z, Kaskel FJ. Urinary Cytokines and Steroid Responsiveness in Idiopathic Nephrotic Syndrome of Childhood. Am J Nephrol. 28(1):83-90, 2008.
79. Dodson JL, Gerson AC, Hsiao C-J, Kaskel FJ, Weiss RA, Furth SL: Parent Perspectives of Health Related Quality of Life of Adolescents with Chronic Kidney Disease Due to Underlying Urological Disorders: An Assessment Using the Child Health Questionaire-Parent Form 50. Journal of Urology 180(4 Suppl):1846-51. 2008.
80. Mahesh S, Del Rio M, Feuerstein D, Greenstein S, Schechner R, Tellis V, Kaskel FJ. Demographics and Response to Therapeutic Plasma Exchange in Pediatric Renal Transplantation for Focal Glomerulosclerosis: A Single Center Experience. Pediatr Transplant. 2008 Sep;12(6):682-8. Epub 2008 Jan 25.
81. Del Rio and Kaskel FJ. Current Opinions in Pediatrics. Evaluation and Management of Steroid Unresponsive Nephrotic Syndrome. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2008 Apr;20(2):151-6. Review.
82. Kaskel FJ, Bamgbola OF. Validation of a composite scoring scheme in the diagnosis of folate deficiency in a pediatric and adolescent dialysis cohort. J Ren Nutr. 2008 Sep;18(5):430-9.
83. Kumar J, Gordillo R, Kaskel FJ, Druschel CM, Woroniecki RP. Increased prevalence of renal and urinary tract anomalies in children with congenital hypothyroidism. J Pediatrics 2009 Feb;154(2):263-6. Epub 2008 Sep 27.
84. Schwartz G, Munoz A, Schneider M, Mak R, Kaskel F, Warady B, Furth S. New Equations to Estimate GFR in Children with CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009 Mar;20(3):629-37. Epub 2009 Jan 2
85. Wong CS, Pierce CB, Cole SR, Warady BA, Mak RH, Benador NM, Kaskel F, Furth SL, Schwartz GJ; Association of Proteinuria with Race, Cause of Chronic Kideny Disease, and Glomerular Filtration Rate in the Chronic Kidney Disease in Children Study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009 Mar 18.
86. Bamgbola OF, Kaskel FJ, Coco M. Analyses of age, gender and other risk factors of erythropoietin resistance in pediatric and adult dialysis cohorts. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009 Mar;24(3):571-9. Epub 2008 Sep 18.
87. Warady, BA, Secker D, Foster B, Goldstein SL, Kaskel F, Ledermann SE, Schaefer FS, and Spinozzi NS. KDOQI Clinical Practice Guideline for Nutrition in Children with CKD. Am Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2009. March 53(3) Suppl 2.
88. Kumar J, Muntner P, Kaskel FJ, Hailpern SM, Melamed ML. Prevalence and Associations of 25- Hydroxyvitamin D Deficiency in US Children: NHANES 2001-2004. Pediatrics, 2009 Sep 124(3):e362-e370.
89. Lane JC, Kaskel FJ. Pediatric nephrotic syndrome: from the simple to the complex. Semin Nephrol. 2009 Jul;29(4):319-320.
90. Feld LG, Kaskel F. Update in pediatric nephrology: introduction. Semin Nephrol. 2009 Jul;29(4);389-398.
91. Thomas, R. and Kaskel FJ. It’s not over till the last glomerulus forms. Kidney International 2009 76:361-363.
92. Chand AQ and Kaskel FJ. Timely diagnosis of primary hyperoxaluria type 1. Nat Rev Nephrol 2009 Dec;5(12):670-671.
93. Dohil R, Fidler M, Gangoiti JA, Kaskel F, Schneider JA, Barshop BA. Twice-daily cysteamine bitartrate therapy for children with cystinosis. J Pediatr. 2010 Jan;156(1):71-75.
94. Santos F, Kaskel FJ, Mak RH, Daldas A. 8th International Symposium on Growth and Nutrition in Children with Chronic Renal Disease: 28-30 May 2009, Oviedo, Asturias, Spain. Pediatr Nephrol. 2010 Apr;25(4):581- 582.
95. Santoro N, McGinn AP, Cohen HW, Kaskel F, Marantz P, Mulvihill M, and Schoenbaum E. In It for the Long-Term: Defining the Mentor-Protégé Relationship in a Clinical Research Training Program. Academic Medicine 2010 June;85(6):1067-72.
96. Chandra M, Stokes MB, Kaskel F. Multinucleated podocytes: a diagnostic clue to cystinosis. Kidney Int. 2010 Nov;78(10):1052.
97. Greenbaum LA, Munoz A, Schneider MF, Kaskel FJ, Askenzai DJ, Jenkins R, Hotchkiss H, Moxey-Mims M, Furth SL, Warady BA. The association between birth history and growth in children with CKD. Cllin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011 Jan;6(1):14-21.
98. Goilav B, Kaskel FJ. Chronic kidney disease stages are appropriate at all ages. Blood Purif. 2011;31(1- 3):125-9.
99. Thomas R, Sanna-Cherchi S, Warady BA, Furth SL, Kaskel FJ, Gharavi AG. HNF1B and PAX2 mutations are a common cause of renal hypodysplasia in the CKiD cohort. Pediatr Nephrol. 2011 Jun;26(6):897-903.
100. Gipson DS, Trachtman H, Kaskel FJ, Greene TH, Radeva MK, Gassman JJ, Moxey-Mims MM, Hogg RJ, Watkins SL, Fine RN, Hogan SL, Middleton JP, Vehaskari VM, Flynn PA, Powell LM, Vento SM, McMagan JL, Siegel N, D’Agati VD, Friedman AL. Clinical trial of focal segmental glomerulosclerosis in children and young adults. Kidney Int. 2011 Oct;80(8):868-78.
101. Furth SL, Abraham AG, Jerry-Fluker J, Schwartz GJ, Benfield M, Kaskel F, Wong C, Mak RH, Moxey-Mims M, Warady BA. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011 Sep;6(9):2132-40.
102. Gipson DS, Trachtman H, Kaskel FJ, Radeva M, Gassman J, Greene T, Moxey-Mims M, Hogg R, Watkins S, Fine R, Middleton J, Vehaskari VM, Hogan HL, Vento S, Flynn P, Powell L, McMahan J, Siegel N, Friedman A. Clinical trials treating focal segmental glomerulosclerosis should measure patient quality of life. Kidney Int. 2011 Mar; 79(6):678-85.
103. Skversky AL, Kumar J, Abramowitz MK, Kaskel FJ, Melamed ML. Association of glucocorticoid use and low 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surevey (NHANES): 2001-2006. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Sep28.
104. D’Agati V.D., Kaskel, FJ, and Falk RJ. Medical Progress: Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis. New England Journal of Medicine 2011 Dec: 365(25):2398-411.
1. Feld LG, Schoeneman MJ, and Kaskel FJ. Evaluation of the child with asymptomatic proteinuria. Pediatrics in Review, Vol. 5, No. 8 (Feb),1984.
2. Kaskel FJ, Schoeneman MJ, and Feld LG. Renal replacement therapy. Advances in Pediatrics, Vol. 32, 1985.
3. Schoeneman MJ, Feld LG and Kaskel FJ. Renal replacement therapy in children. Conservative Management. Clinical Update in Nephrology, Vol. 1, No. 23, 1985.
4. Feld LG, Kaskel FJ and Schoenemen MJ. Renal replacement therapy in children: Dialysis and transplantation. Clinical Update in Nephrology, Vol. 1, No. 24, 1985.
5. Kaskel FJ, Kumar AM, Lockhart EA, Evan AP and Spitzer A. Factors affecting proximal tubular reabsorption during development. In: Recent Advances in Pediatric Nephrology, Mura Kami, Kitagawa, Yabuta and Sakai (Eds.). Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, p 413‑416, 1987.
6. Kleinman LI, Stewart CL and Kaskel FJ. Renal disease of the newborn. In: Pediatric Kidney Disease, second edition. Edelmann, Bernstein, Meadow, Travis and Spitzer (Eds.), Little, Brown and Co., Boston, p1043-1066, 1992.
7. Feld LG, Schoeneman MJ and Kaskel FJ. Fluid and electrolyte therapy in pediatrics. Advances in Pediatrics, Vol 35, p497‑535, 1988.
8. Stewart CL, Katz S, and Kaskel FJ. Unique aspects of the care of pediatric dialysis patients. Seminars in Dialysis, Vol I, No.3, p160‑169, 1988.
9. Kaskel F, Devarajan P and Moore LC. Effect of cyclosporine on renal hemodynamics and autoregulation. In The Juxtaglomerular Apparatus,Persson and Boberg (Eds.). Elsevier Science Publishers (Biomedical Division), p455, 1988.
10. Stewart CL, Devarajan P and Kaskel FJ. Renal replacement therapy. In: Pediatric Textbook of Fluid and Electrolytes, first edition. Ichikawa, (Ed.), Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore. pp 439‑458, 1990.
11 Zwazu M, Devarajan P, Kaskel FJ, Stewart CL and Ichikawa I. Maintenance, replacement, and removal fluid and electrolyte therapies. Ichikawa, (Ed.), Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore. pp417‑428, 1990.
12. Stewart CL, Devarajan P, Mulroney SE, Haramati A and Kaskel FJ. Transport of phosphorus and calcium. Neonatal and Fetal Medicine: Physiology and Pathophysiology, first edition. Polin and Fox, (Eds.), Grune and Stratton Philadelphia PA, pp 1223‑1231, 1991.
13. Kleinman LI, Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ. Renal Disease of the Newborn. In: Pediatric Kidney Disease, second edition. Edelmann, Bernstein, Meadow, Travis and Spitzer (Eds.), Little, Brown, Boston, pp 1043‑1066, 1992.
14. Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ. Parenteral Fluid Therapy for Infants and Children. In: Conn's Current Therapy, Rakel, (Ed.), W.B. Saunders Company, pp 538-547, 1995.
15. Kupferman JC, Lin JJ, Stewart CL, Fine RN, Kaskel FJ. Out‑patient Pediatric Nephrology. In: Pediatrics for Medical Students, Bernstein and Shelov (Eds.), Williams & Wilkins, Maryland, 1996.
16. Lin JJ, Kupferman JC, Stewart CL, Fine RN, Kaskel FJ. In: Pediatrics for Medical Students, Bernstein and Shelov (Eds.), Williams & Wilkins, Maryland, 1996.
17. Shelov SP, Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ. Principles of Pediatric Nutrition, Fluids, and Electrolytes. In: Pediatrics for Medical Students, Berstein and Shelov (Eds.), Williams & Wilkins, Maryland, 1996.
18. Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ, Fine RN. Growth Disorders in Chronic Renal Failure. In: Pediatric Nephrology, Gruskin and Branski (Eds.), Karger AG, Basel 1996.
19. Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ, Fine RN. Fluid and Electrolyte Abnormalities in Children. In: Therapy of Renal Diseases and Related Disorders, Suki and Massry (eds), 3rd edition Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, Mass., 1997.
20. Celebrado, N, Stewart CL, P, Mulroney SE, Haramati A, Kaskel FJ. Transport of phosphorus and calcium. Neonatal and Fetal Medicine: Physiology and Pathophysiology, second edition. Polin and Fox, (Eds.), Grune and Stratton Philadelphia PA, 1997.
21. Woroniecki R, Stewart CL, Katz SP, Kaskel FJ. Acute Renal Failure. Monographs in Clinical Pediatrics: Pediatric Nephrology. Trachtman and Gauthier, (Eds.), Harwood Academic Publishers, 1998.
22. Bajaj G, Kaskel FJ. Common Forms of Glomerulopathies in Childhood: Acute Poststreptococcal Glomerulonephritis, Nephritis of Henoch-Schoenlein Purpura and of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Monographs in Clinical Pediatrics: Pediatric Nephrology. Trachtman and Gauthier, (Eds.), Harwood Academic Publishers, 1998.
23. Stewart CL, Kaskel FJ, Fine RN. Acute Renal Failure in Children and Newborns: Pathophysiology, Clinical Patterns, and Therapeutic Approach. Critical Care Nephrology, Ronco and Rinaldo Bellomo (Eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998.
24. Linshaw M, Aigbe M, Kaskel, FJ. The Mineral Disorders in Pediatrics. In: Seminars in Nephrology: Pediatric Nephrology, May 18(3): 280- 292, 1998.
25. Supavekin S, Kupferman, JC, Kaskel FJ. Pediatric Nephrology. In: Pediatrics for Medical Students, Bernstein and Shelov (Eds.), Williams & Wilkins, Maryland 2nd edition, 2003.
26. Shelov SP, Castaneda P, Bamgbola F, Kaskel FJ. Principles of Pediatric Nutrition, Fluids, and Electrolytes. In: Pediatrics for Medical Students, Bernstein and Shelov (Eds.), Williams & Wilkins, Maryland 2nd edition, 2003.
27. Woroniecki R, Mulroney SE, Haramati A, Kaskel FJ. Transport of phosphorus and calcium. Neonatal and Fetal Medicine: Physiology and Pathophysiology, third edition. Polin and Fox, Eds., Grune and Stratton Philadelphia PA 2004.
28. Nailescu C, Kaskel FJ. Metabolism in Chronic Kidney Failure. In: Pediatric Nephrology, Barratt, Avner & Harmon (Eds.), 5th edition Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD 2004.
29. Subtirelu M and Kaskel FJ. Renal Biopsy. In Clinical Pediatric Nephrology Second Edition, Kher, Schnaper and Makker, (Eds.), Informa healthcare, 121-128, 2007.
30. Graf L, Nailescu C, Kaskel PH, Kaskel FJ. Nutrition and Metabolism. In Pediatric Nephrology, Avner, Harmon, Niaudet, Yoshikawa (Eds.), Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, 2009.
31. Feld LG and Kaskel FJ. Fluid and Electrolytes in Pediatrics: A Comprehensive Handbook, Feld and Kaskel (Eds.), Human Press, 2010.
32. Kumar J, Woda CB, Woroniecki RP, Mulroney SE, Kaskel FJ. Role of the Kidney in Calcium and Phosphorous Homeostasis. In Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, Fourth Edition, Volume 2, P. 1371, Polin, Fox, Abman (Eds.), Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, 2011.
33. Shelov SP, Kaskel FJ. Principals of Pediatric Nutrition, Fluids, and Electroytes. In: Pediatrics for Medical Students, Bernstein and Shelov (Eds.), Lippincott,Williams & Wilkins, Maryland 3rd edition, 2012.
34. Suman H, Kaskel FJ, and Kupferman JC. Nephrology. In: Pediatrics for Medical Students, Bernstein and Shelov (Eds.), Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Maryland 3rd edition, 2012.
Chair-Elect, Clinical Translational Science Award Consortium Child Health Oversight Committee
International Pediatric Nephrology Association Visiting Professor, Fudan University, Shanghi, China2012
President, 15th Scientific Congress of the International Pediatric Nephrology Association, August 29th - September 2nd, 2010, New York City
1967 B.A Monmouth College, Monmouth, Illinois, Biology; 1972 Ph.D., University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Physiology and M.D. 1975; 1975-76 Intern Montefiore Hospital, Bronx, New York Pediatrics; l976-77 Resident Montefiore Hospital, Bronx, New York Pediatrics; l977-81 Fellow Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York Pediatric Nephrology