Dr. Frank is a renowned sports orthopedic surgeon who focuses on cutting edge regenerative medicine and joint preservation. His research has been presented at regional, national, and international orthopedic conferences, winning several awards. He has published numerous articles and book chapters in some of the top orthopedic journals and has been consistently voted by Los Angeles Magazine as a top doctor.
He completed residency at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago where he participated in sports team coverage for several local colleges and professional teams including the White Sox, Bulls and Roosevelt University Men’s and Women’s basketball teams.
Dr. Frank completed a fellowship in Orthopedic Sports Medicine at the world-renowned Steadman Clinic, where he helped treat athletes across the country from the NFL, NBA, MLB, and MLS.
He continues to care for elite athletes as a member of the medical staff for the US Ski and Snowboarding Team.
About Jonathan Frank
Medical School: California Los Angeles David Geffen SOM, University of
Graduation Year: 2010
Professional Webpage: https://jonathanfrankmd.com/
Honors and Awards:
- LA Magazine Top Doctors 2019 & 2020
- Published Author (over 40 articles and book chapters)
- U.S Ski & Snowboard Team Physican
- Mark Coventry Award 2016
- William A Grana Award 2018
Publications, Lectures and Presentations:
- Chien W, Kumagai T, Miller CW, Desmond JC, Frank JM, Said JW, Koeffler HP. Cyr61 suppresses growth of human endometrial cancer cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2004 Dec; 279(51): 53087-53096. PMID: 15471875.
- Semiletova NV, Shen XD, Baibakov B, Feldman DM, Mukherjee K, Frank JM, Stepkowski SM, Busuttil RW, Kupiec-Weglinski JW, Ghobrial RM. Inhibition of chronic rejection by antibody induced vascular accommodation in fully allogeneic heart allografts. Transplantation. 2005 Dec; 80(11): 1535-1540. PMID: 16371921.
- Chien W, Yin D, Gui D, Mori A, Frank JM, Said J, Kusuanco D, Marchevsky A, McKenna R, Koeffler HP. Suppression of cell proliferation and signaling transduction by connective tissue growth factor in non-small cell lung cancer cells. Molecular Cancer Research. 2006 Aug; 4(8): 591-598. PMID: 16877704.
- Sheyn D, Pelled G, Zilberman Y, Talasazan F, Frank JM, Gazit D, Gazit Z. Nonvirally engineered porcine adipose tissue-derived stem cells: use in posterior spinal fusion. Stem Cells. 2008 Apr; 26(4): 1056-1064. PMID: 18218819.
- Figueroa KP, Farooqi S, Harrup K, Frank J, O'Rahilly S, Pulst SM. ATXN2 sequence variants in children with significant obesity. PLoS ONE. 2009 Dec; 4(12):e8280. PMID: 20016785
- Chalmers PN, Frank J, Sporer SM. Acute postoperative renal failure following insertion of an antibiotic-impregnated cement spacer in revision total joint arthroplasty: two case reports. JBJS Case Connector.2012; 2:e12 1-4.
- McCormick F, Slikker W, Harris JD, Gupta AK, Frank J, Nho S. Evidence of capsular defect following hip arthroscopy: A case series. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2013 Jul. PMID 23851921.
- Harris JD, Frank JM, Jordan MA, Bush-Joseph CA, Romeo AA, Gupta AK, Abrams GD, McCormick FD, Bach BR. Return to sport following shoulder surgery in the elite pitcher: a systematic review. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 2013 Jul; 5(4):367-76.
- Frank JM, Frank RM, Chalmers PN, Slikker 3rd W, Nho SJ. Lymphoma as a mimicker of femoroacetabular impingement. JBJS Case Connector. 2013 Aug 28;3(3):e86 1-4.
- Gitelis S, Bayne CO, Frank JM, Fillingham Y. Surgery in malignant bone tumors. Current Problems in Cancer. 2013 Jul-Aug;37(4):192-7. PMID
- Frank JM, Riedel MD, McCormick FM, Nho SJ. Isolated vastus lateralis tendon avulsion. American Journal of Orthopedics. 2013 Oct;42(10):464-5. PMID: 24278905
- Frank JM, Eckardt JJ, Nelson SD, Seeger L, Federman N. Congenital extra-renal extra- central nervous system malignant rhabdoid tumor of the upper extremity: A case report. JBJS Case Connector. 2013 Dec 11;3(4):e124 1-5.
- Frank RM, Erickson BJ, Frank JM, Cole BJ, Verma NN, Romeo AA, Bush-Joseph CA, Bach BR. Utility of modern arthroscopic simulator training modules: a systematic review. Journal of Arthroscopy. 2014 Jan;30(1):121-33. PMID: 24290789.
- Frank JM, Chahal J, Frank RM, Romeo AA. The role of acromioplasty for rotator cuff problems. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2014 Apr;45(2):219-24. PMID 24684915.
- Frank JM, Chalmers PN, Sporer SM. Management of infection following total hip arthroplasty. Current Orthopedic Practice. 2014 Jan:25(3): 261-265.
- Kroin E, Frank JM, Haughom B, Kogam M. Two cases of avascular necrosis after prophylactic pinning of the asymptomatic, contralateral femoral head for slipped capital femoral epiphysis: Case report and review of the literature. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2014 Aug. PMID 25171683.
- Frank JM, McCormick F, Jordan MA, Austell B, Slikker W, Salata MJ, Nho SJ. Quantification and correlation of hip capsular volume to demographic and radiographic predictors. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2014 Sept. PMID 25218574.
- Frank JM, Harris JD, Erickson BJ, Slikker W, Salata MJ, Nho SJ. Prevalence of femoroacetabular impingement imaging findings in asymptomatic volunteers: A systematic review. Journal of Arthroscopy. 2015 Jan. PMID 25636988.
- Saltzman B, Frank JM, Slikker W, Frank RM, Fernandez JJ, Cohen MS, Wysocki RW. Clinical outcomes of proximal row carpectomy versus four-corner fusion for post-traumatic wrist arthropathy: A systematic review. Journal of Hand Surgery (European). 2015 Jun. PMID 25294736.
- Bogunovic L, Lee SX, Haro MS, Frank JM, Mather RC, Bush-Joseph CA, Nho SJ. Application of the Goutallier/Fuchs classification to the evaluation of hip abductor tendons tears and the correlation with outcome following repair. Journal of Arthroscopy. 2015 Jul. PMID
- Frank JM, Slikker W, Al-Shihabi L, Saltzman BM, Fernandez JJ. Total wrist fusion using an intramedullary rod technique with proximal row carpectomy. Techniques in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery. 2015 Sept. PMID
- Frank JM, Saltzman BM, Garbis N, Cohen MS. Articular shear injuries of the capitellum in adolescents. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2016 Jun. PMID
- Gross CE, Sershon RA, Frank JM, Holmes GB. Treatment of osteonecrosis of the talus. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Reviews. 2016 Jul.
- Frank JM, Kayupov E, Moric M, Segreti J, Hansen E, Hartman C, Okroj K, Belden K, Roslund B, Silibovsky R, Parvizi J, Della Valle CJ, The Knee Society Research Group. The Mark Coventry, MD, Award: Oral antibiotics reduce reinfection after two-stage exchange: A multicenter, randomized controlled trial. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2016 Jul. PMID
- Trella K, Li J, Stylianou E, Wang VM, Frank JM, Galante J, Sandy JD, Plaas A, Wysocki R. Genome-wide alterations in DNA methylation identify Leprel2, Foxf1,Mmp25, Igfbp6 and Peg12 as disease-associated genes in murine Achilles tendinopathy. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 2016 Aug. PMID 27517731.
- Saltzman BM, Erickson BJ, Frank JM, Harris JD, Nicholson GP, Bach BR, Verma NN, Romeo AA. Biomechanical testing of the reconstructed ulnar collateral ligament: a systematic review of the literature. Musculoskeletal Surgery. 2016 Sept. PMID 27628911.
- Frank JM, Saltzman BM, Hemu M, Wysocki RW. Synovial chondromatosis of the elbow with asymptomatic ulnar nerve compression: a case report. Journal of Hand Surgery. 2016 Sept. PMID 2759534.
- Frank JM, Chahla J, Mitchell JJ, Soares E, Philippon MJ. Remplissage of the femoral head-neck junction in revision hip arthroscopy: A technique to correct excessive cam resection. Techniques in Arthroscopy. 2016 Oct. PMID 28149715.
- Mitchell JJ, Chahla J, Vap AR, Menge TJ, Soares E, Frank JM, Dean CS, Philippon MJ. Endoscopic trochanteric bursectomy and iliotibial band release for persistent trochanteric bursitis. Techniques in Arthroscopy. 2016 Oct. PMID 28224075.
- Saltzman BM, Frank JM. How the ACGME work-hour restrictions have affected orthopedic residents. Orthopedics. 2017 Jan. PMID 28375523.
- Frank JM, Liechti D, Anavian J, Hackett TR. A transosseous bone bridge repair for posterior horn meniscal root tears during anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Techniques in Arthroscopy. 2017 Feb. PMID 28409107.
- Frank JM, Moatshe G, Brady A, Slette EL, Mikula JD, Dornan GJ, Turnbull TL, LaPrade The lateral meniscus posterior root and meniscofemoral ligaments are stabilizing structures in the ACL deficient knee: a biomechanical study. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine. Jun 2017. PMID 28660229.
- Frank JM, Mitchell JJ, Locks R, Chahla J, Philippon MJ. Arthroscopic hip labral augmentation technique with iliotibial band allograft. Techniques in Arthroscopy. 2017 Mar. PMID 28580252.
- Riff A, Saltzman BM, Cvetanovich G, Frank JM, Hemu MR, Wysocki RW. Open versus percutaneous versus arthroscopic surgical treatment of lateral epicondylitis: An updated systematic review. American Journal of Orthopedics. 2018 Jun. PMID 29979804.
- Frank JM. Remplissage of the hip for cam over-resection. In Chahla J, Mitchell JJ, Pascual-Garrido C, Philippon MJ (editors). Hip Arthroscopy: Basic Strategies to Advanced Techniques. TSC and SPRI, 2016.
- Frank JM. Complications associated with hip arthroscopy. In Chahla J, Mitchell JJ, Pascual-Garrido C, Philippon MJ (editors). Hip Arthroscopy: Basic Strategies to Advanced Techniques. TSC and SPRI, 2016.
- Frank JM, Bach BR. Chondral and osteochondral defect classification. In Cole BJ, Harris JD (editors). Biologic Knee Reconstruction: A Surgeon’s Guide. Slack Inc, 2013.
- Frank JM, Federer AE, Nho SJ. Surgical technique: gluteus maximus transfer.In Shane SJ, Leunig M, Larson, CM, Bedi A (editors). Hip Arthroscopy and Hip Joint Preservation Surgery. Slack Inc, 2013.
- Frank JM, Mather C, Federer AE, Nho SJ. Surgical technique: open bone graft for AVN.In Shane SJ, Leunig M, Larson, CM, Bedi A (editors). Hip Arthroscopy and Hip Joint Preservation Surgery. Slack Inc, 2013.
- Frank JM. Osteoarthritis pathways. In Levine, B. (editor), Acing the Boards. Slack Inc, 2013.
- Frank JM. Bone structure and fracture healing. In Levine, B. (editor), Acing the Boards. Slack Inc, 2013.
- Frank JM, Van Thiel GS, McCarty LP, Cole BJ. Primary repair of osteochondritis dissecans in the knee, in Cole BJ, Sekiya BK, Van Thiel G (editors). Surgical Techniques of the Shoulder, Elbow and Knee in Sports Medicine, 2nd ed. Elsevier, New York.
- Frank JM. Extremity fractures, in Saclarides T, Millikan K, Myers J (editors): Common Surgical Diseases: An Algorithmic Approach to Problem Solving, 3rd Springer, New York.